If someone comes to you saying they have been abused, here is a list of things to say and things to not say.
WHAT TO SAY:
- I’m so sorry, this is not your fault, I am here for you.
- I will support you with your decisions.
- You can always come to me for anything.
- If you choose to report I can support you every step of the way.
- If you are unsafe, my house is a safe space.
- You are worthy of better treatment.
- You are loved & heard.
- Your emotions are valid.
WHAT NOT TO SAY:
- What happened before the abuse?
- Are you sure that is abuse?
- You should/shouldn’t report.
- Was there a way you could have avoided it?
- That’s not too bad, other people have it worse.
- Oh ya, I know a bunch of people who were abused.
- If you don’t do something, I will.